About this object

  • ID:

    A14770

  • Production date:

    Tudor; c. 1525

  • Location:

    On Display: Museum of London: Medieval London: Writing and Printing

  • A 'colophon' was an inscription or device placed at the end of a book, with the printer's name, the date, and place of printing. Colophons were used by printers to show that the work had been done by a reputable man and in a reputable fashion. This colophon, from a book of law by the printer Robert Redman, tells us that his business premises were located at the 'Syne of the George' without Temple Bar in the parish of St Clement Danes. The text itself, now missing, was an edition of ‘De termino sancti Michaelis, anno regni Regis Henrici Sexti’, which was published in 1526. The book contained law reports from a Michaelmas term in Henry VI’s reign (Michaelmas term is the first of four terms into which the legal year is divided and lasts from October to December). Redman specialised in legal publishing and in 1527 moved premises to Fleet Street near his main rival, Richard Pynson. A prolific publisher, Redman printed 203 editions between 1523 and 1540, and these included herbals, saints' lives and devotional works in addition to his main output of legal texts.

  • Measurements

    H 263 mm; W 195 mm

  • Materials

    paper

  • Last Updated

    2019-09-30

FURTHER INFORMATION
  • NUMBER OF ITEMS

    1

  • STATUS

    permanent collection

  • COPYRIGHT HOLDER

    digital image copyright Museum of London

?

Record quality:

What is this?

Not every record in Collections Online is complete. Some have low quality images designed purely for recognition, while some have been catalogued only to a basic standard. This graphic is designed to give you an impression of the quality of data you can see. 100% meets all our current data standards and has a high quality image, 20% is a basic record with no image. Individual record quality can change over time as new photography is carried out and records are worked on.

X