This 'giraffe' piano was made by William Mardon, a piano forte maker who had a shop at 15 Great Portland Street. Mardon claimed to have the custom of Princess Victoria, the Duchess of Kent, and to be an associate of the famous firm of Broadwood and Sons. His firm was declared bankrupt in 1844.
By the 1830s a handful of large firms dominated the piano trade in London: Collard and Collard, Kirkham, Wornum and Broadwood and Sons. Piano manufacturing was strongly associated with the cabinet making trade. By the middle of the 19th century, a number of companies had established factories in Camden Town. Wood and finished pianos could be transported to and from the factories using the Regent's Canal.
This piano was originally lent to the London Museum in 1928 by Mrs Dorothy Stirling while her house at Southwick Place was being decorated. The piano was located in her drawing room.